Burjatik d.o.o. is committed to our clients, employees, community, and environment. We aim to achieve corporate social responsibility and to contribute to a sustainable society and to sustainable tourism. We stimulate more awareness among our clients and motivate them towards more sustainable travel behavior. We are honored that our way of working was recognized by Travelife and Slovenia Green as responsible towards the local community, nature, employees, partners, and our clients.
We are engaged with Travelife and committed to following its sustainable practices. It is a three-stage certification program for tour operators and travel agents: (1) Travelife Engaged; (2) Travelife Partner and (3) Travelife Certified. We are at stage two – Travelife Partner.
The Travel Life criteria will help guide us in our future actions. To assure our goals are being met and the correct measures are being taken indicators will be set in place including constant evaluation and monitoring as well as completion of additional Travelife criteria. At Burjatik d.o.o., we hope that this journey will lead to many positive changes and we can help shape improvement in ourselves and those that surround us. Our company aims to become one of the leading sustainable DMCs in Slovenia.
Burjatik d.o.o. is committed to:
∙ promote the natural heritage we have and the importance of taking care of it;
∙ promote the “principle of sustainability” among our customers, and suppliers;
∙ offer only tours and activities which respect local natural and community welfare;
avoid carbon dioxide emissions
∙ constantly reassess our supplier base to include better accessibility, both physically and intellectually, to nature, culture, and community.
∙ monitor and revise our policy and practices; through regular feedback from clients and suppliers and sharing our experiences & findings with all involved.
∙ continue with education – of staff, suppliers, guides, and clients on the need to respect, protect, and connect with our environmental, cultural, and economic resources.
MANAGEMENT AND LEGAL COMPLIANCE
∙ comply with the regulations governing the touristic activity, specifically those referring to the environment, wildlife, archaeological heritage, and social security;
∙ have a clear, accessible sustainability policy and action plan which is monitored and adapted frequently by appointed staff and is shared internally and with partners, suppliers, clients and external forums.
Energy and water consumption; waste management
∙ properly handle the waste we produce;
∙ buy less. When buying to give preference to products that have been produced with respect for people and the environment, as well as to service providers who have implemented a sustainability policy; and check their label, for example, FSC, European Ecolabel, The EU organic food label, Fair Trade;
∙ reduce paper consumption;
∙ apply the 4 R’s Rethink, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle;
∙ have a water and electricity saving program and “switch-off policy”;
∙ use biodegradable cleaning products where available;
∙ encourage cycling or walking to work or sharing transport whenever possible.
∙ provide a clear written and well-communicated social policy covering employee contracts and human rights;
∙ providing an employment contract including details of the job description, wage rate (which must be at least the national minimum), paid holiday and sick leave;
∙ providing medical and liability insurance in line with national standards;
∙ use properly trained local guides and provide a sustainable service without reducing quality;
∙ create opportunities for students through internships & training schemes;
∙ not to discriminate on account of gender, race, age, disability, ethnicity, religion/ beliefs of sexual orientation;
∙ regularly train our staff on quality issues and tourism sustainability
∙ offering a clearly communicated disciplinary procedure and regular monitoring of employee satisfaction.
∙ not hindering trade union memberships and representation or collective labor negotiations. Complying with local structures where applicable;
∙ offering resources and opportunities for personal development to all employees.
∙ ask our clients to be sensitive to local traditions and culture;
∙ advice customers to buy locally and promote artisan and craft products by explaining how proceeds benefit the destination by reducing leakage;
∙ offer our customers the opportunity to support the community development initiatives by donating;
∙ provide clear information to clients about how to respect local culture nature and the environment;
∙ promote local public transport or cycling and walking routes to customers and inform them about the sustainability impacts;
∙ advice clients to carry their own reusable water bottle;
∙ advice clients to eat in local restaurants or farms and taste local dishes;
∙ protect client information.
∙ sharing our sustainability goals and action plan with all suppliers;
∙ selecting sustainable suppliers, giving priority to local goods and services;
∙ informing clients of transport options and sustainability impacts;
∙ encouraging local accommodations to become sustainably certified;
∙ ensuring local, trained guides are given priority.
Sustainable Purchasing Policy
At Burjatik d.o.o., we are committed to promoting sustainability in our purchasing practices. We recognize that our purchasing decisions have an impact on the environment and society, and we strive to make responsible choices that support sustainable development. Therefore, we have implemented the following sustainable purchasing policy:
- Consider environmental and social impacts: We will consider the environmental and social impacts of products and services we purchase, including their carbon footprint, resource consumption, waste generation, and social responsibility.
- Prioritize sustainable products and services: We will prioritize the purchase of products and services that meet recognized sustainability standards and certifications, such as those that are Fair Trade, organic, or certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- Reduce waste and encourage recycling: We will choose products and packaging that are recyclable or compostable, and will minimize our use of single-use products. We will also prioritize the purchase of products made from recycled or renewable materials.
- Support local suppliers: We will prioritize the purchase of products and services from local suppliers, as this can reduce transportation emissions and support the local economy.
- Minimize energy consumption: We will consider the energy consumption of products we purchase and prioritize energy-efficient products.
- Continuously monitor and improve our sustainable purchasing practices: We will regularly monitor our purchasing practices and track our progress in implementing this policy. We will also seek out new ways to promote sustainability in our purchasing practices and continually improve our sustainable purchasing policy.
By implementing these measures, Burjatik d.o.o. is committed to making responsible purchasing decisions that support sustainable development and protect the environment.
Water Reduction Policy
At Burjatik d.o.o., we are committed to protecting the environment and reducing our water consumption. We recognize that water is a precious resource and we must do our part to conserve it. Therefore, we have implemented the following water reduction policy:
- Minimize water usage in our office: We will regularly monitor our water consumption in the office and take steps to reduce it.
- Encourage our employees to conserve water: We will educate our employees about the importance of water conservation and encourage them to take steps to reduce water usage at work and at home.
- Encourage our clients to conserve water: We will inform our clients about the importance of water conservation and provide them with tips on how to reduce their water consumption while traveling.
- Choose water-efficient accommodations: We will encourage our clients to stay in water-efficient hotels and accommodations that have implemented water-saving measures.
- Continuously monitor and improve our water reduction efforts: We will regularly monitor our water consumption and track our progress in reducing it. We will also seek out new ways to conserve water and continually improve our water reduction policy.
By implementing these measures, Burjatik d.o.o. is committed to doing our part in reducing water consumption and protecting the environment.